DECATUR, Ga. -Trinity University (Texas), ranked 21st in Division III, defeated Agnes Scott College 5-0 in the first round of the NCAA Division III Women's Championships at Emory University in Atlanta, Ga. on Friday morning.
Agnes Scott sports information provided this report
The Tigers (11-14) will advance to the second round of the tournament on Saturday, facing nationally-fourth ranked and host Emory at 3:30 PM at the Woodruff Physical Education Center.
Trinity's third doubles pairing of Stephanie Williamson and Kristy Hamilton got the squad off to a quick start, defeating Claire Rinaldo and Anne Rinaldo 8-0. Adding a point to Trinity's total were Thavidra Ekanayake and Kylie Hornbeck with an 8-3 win over Agnes Scott's Alex Cadle and Rachel Storz at first doubles, and Caroline White and Kathleen Lundquist completed the doubles sweep minutes later with an 8-3 win over Mariel Herrera and Hannah Kraus at second doubles.
The Tigers would close out the victory with a pair of quick singles matches. At sixth singles, Williamson defeated Alexis Mastmeier 6-0, 6-0. Following shortly thereafter was Hamilton with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Claire Rinaldo at fifth singles to clinch the team win.
Trinity was up a set in each of the unfinished matches, with Ekanayake leading Storz 6-1, 1-0 at first singles, Hornbeck up 6-2, 6-1 over Herrera at second singles, Gabrielle Roe holding a 6-2 advantage over Cadle at third singles, and White on top of Kraus, 6-2, 2-2 at fourth singles.
Agnes Scott, winner of the Great South Athletic Conference title, ends its 2013 campaign with an overall record of 12-6.
Agnes Scott College vs Trinity University
May 10, 2013 at Decatur, GA
#21 Trinity University 5, Agnes Scott College 0
1. Thavindra Ekanayake (TUW) vs. Rachel Storz (ASC) 6-2, 1-0, unfinished
2. Kylie Hornbeck (TUW) vs. Mariel Herrera (ASC) 6-2, 1-1, unfinished
3. Gabrielle Roe (TUW) vs. Alex Cadle (ASC) 6-2, 0-0, unfinished
4. Caroline White (TUW) vs. Hannah Kraus (ASC) 6-2, 2-2, unfinished
5. Kristy Hamilton (TUW) def. Claire Rinaldo (ASC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Stephanie Williamson (TUW) def. Alexis Mastmeier (ASC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Thavindra Ekanayake/Kylie Hornbeck (TUW) def. Alex Cadle/Rachel Storz (ASC) 8-3
2. Caroline White/Kathleen Lundquist (TUW) def. Mariel Herrera/Hannah Kraus (ASC) 8-3
3. Stephanie Williamson/Kristy Hamilton (TUW) def. Claire Rinaldo/Anne Rinaldo (ASC) 8-0
Agnes Scott College 12-6
Trinity University 11-14; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5)
NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championships - First Round